Monday, August 28, 2006

Ouch

I finally found a trail yesterday that really hurt. A lot. Well, it's not singletrack, but it's a really technical fireroad/ATV trail that basically goes straight up the side of a mountain. It climbs 1300' in 1.5 miles. It is infamous around here as the toughest climb you can find, people that can climb it without dabbing are heroes. It's called TIBBS. I rode it once last year, but I don't know anyone stupid enough to want to take their singlespeed up it, and now I know why. I wouldn't call it SS-friendly...although, I think it would probably put a smile on TD's face.

Other than that, the ride was good and long, with fun people and great views. Ride pics courtesy of mama a.k.a. Chocolategirl.

This is the ride up lower Windy Gap, from the parking lot. Nice warmup, eh.
















After that, you turn onto Milma (a connector) that's rolling, but pretty steep, rocky, and loose in sections. At least we got some downhill relief.































Then much too quickly, you're at the turnoff for upper TIBBS. Let the fun begin!
















There was a lot of hike-a-bike for me. This was the first time I had to really accept getting off my bike and walking something for an extended period, which was hard to do but I didn't have a choice. Luckily there were a few sections I could actually get on my bike and ride...though they were short-lived. Not only was it steep, it was really dry, loose, and rocky, and tough to keep track of a line. Here I am at the top, you have no idea how happy I am to be done. Though, it's still the beginning of a long day in the saddle.
















After riding a few more hours of great singletrack we decided to take the "cheater" way back to the car..rolling hills, gradual ups and downs, instead of climbing back up to the ridge and going back down. Everyone left me on this section, it's like someone famous said, "gradual and singlespeed go together like peas and chocolate"--haha, so true!! Here I am trying to keep up on the gradual descent
















Ah, time for pizza and beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home